Sunday, June 13, 2010

Dedicated to Jesse Jackson and other cats who rhyme

This mood I’m in is so disgusting
With existentialism I am busting
Each morning begins another day
In which I watch the world blow up in every way
My life has never been a piece of cake
But never have I felt such an urge to drown myself in a lake
Into the ocean the oil is gushing
And the people responsible are not even blushing
The banks and institutions have gleefully robbed us
While addled politicians spew in pretense of fuss
Health care in our country is a joke
And for many citizens a mighty yoke
Stock tickers no longer depend on humans and organic brains
In this new world computers reign
No one appears to understand the bits and bytes
And how and why they’ve intensified our plight
People have lost their jobs and homes
And throughout our country despair and misery roam
The mobs are growing in numbers and anger
On thoughtful solutions they do not bother to linger
Shouting bullies take the stage to foment built up frustration and rage
It’s all about me
And forget about thee
The we has been lost
At tremendous cost
Society’s seams have stretched and are bursting
For ideas and leadership we are all thirsting
The future seems both turbulent and dim
And more and more it looks like the bad guys will win
While our government squabbles and dithers
Our citizens prey on each other and our country withers
There was a time I was full of joy and hope
But my cup has been depleted in this country of nope
Everyone wants to place blame
To me, that is both wrong and lame
What we need is a magic potion
Some sort of salve, balm or lotion
To end our seemingly endless addiction to friction
We need a far greater historical and emotional diction
There used to be a time when we worked hard at working
Now it seems what we do best is work at jerking
In this complicated world contrasts are a given and a must
But our differences work against us if we don’t care what is just
We used to look at the whites of their eyes
It was there we could look for the emptiness of lies
Now what we look at is the color of their skin
Our intellectual prowess has become puny and thin
Our country used to be proud
Now it is merely loud
When the seven deadly sins are promoted as power
How deep can we go, does it get any lower?
I don’t know what to do in a country where ignorance and avarice lead
From various kingdoms and fiefdoms our ancestors fled this creed
When our protectors are the ones who pillage and plunder
Mistrust and outrage rumble like claps of thunder
It is of these things I sit here and ponder
How bad can it get I often wonder
So what can I do with my distress and consternation?
To whom can I turn for wisdom and consolation?
The only thing I know for sure
Is that none of us alone has the cure
The answer is in each of us and all
United we stand
Divided we fall

3 comments:

JanEO said...

Wow Deb, by the time I got to the end I was smokin' -- doin' my own hip hop moves -- gettin' down ... can you see all of getting together and doing this for a you-tube video, or is it just me? Powerful words ...

Kathi said...

Let's do it! I can't hip hop, but I can rap! :)

Mercedes said...

Definitely improved by sunglasses and a steady beat.