Friday, August 6, 2010

Singing with the Boys

This is still rough, and I probably won't enter it, but I had fun writing it:


My grandsons, Aden and Abram, love to get me to sing. This is funny to me because my youngest son, Eli, used to cover my mouth with his hand when he was little whenever I'd begin to sing!

We'll be driving along, my little boys and I, and Aden will shout, "Sing the Spider Song, Bubbe!" I'll start "The Eencey Weencey Spider," and their sweet little three and four year old voices will join in. From there, it's Abram saying, "Sing the doggie song," which brings about "How Much is that Doggie in the Window."

Eventually, they run out of ideas - but not really."Sing the Daddy Song, Bubbe!" one will say, and I'll reply, "I don't know the Daddy Song- sing it to me instead."

"No," Aden says, "YOU sing it."

Abram will chime in, "You sing it, you sing it!"

So, I'll make up a tune and sing, "Oh, I love my Daddy so, he's the greatest daddy I know. He reads me books; he can even cook. I love my daddy so."

From there, we have to sing the Mommy Song, the Bubbe Song, the Papa Song, the Auntie Song, the Uncle Song, and whatever else they can think of.

One recent day, we also had their little brother, Khalil, in the car. He's right at 13 months, and a tell-tale smell began to emanate from the back seat. Aden said, "Sing the POOP Song, Bubbe!"

Abram began to laugh and mimic his brother, "Yes, sing the POOP Song, sing it, Bubbe!' So what's a grandmother to do? Of course, she must sing the Poop Song:

"My baby brother pooped his pants, poo-pah, poooo-pah.
He's stinking up my bubbe's car, poo-pah, poo-pah.
Aden and Abram are holding their noses 'cause I'm telling you
it doesn't smell like roses!
My baby brother pooped his pants in Bubbe's car today....HEY!"

We laugh and laugh and sing it over and over until everyone knows it. Even the baby "culprit" is cracking up, not really knowing exactly why, but enjoying himself just the same, holding his nose, too.

My daughter and son-in-law, I'm sure, love it when their boys return home and begin to sing, but really, isn't that what bubbes are for?

2 comments:

Betty said...

Love it! When I used to pick up Abby from day care, we did the same thing.

BTW. word below was "pugua" like yours!

Mercedes said...

It was great to hear you read this in our group. What came through hearing you read was the way seeds of creativity and community are planted through silly games and wordplay.