Sunday, July 4, 2010

It is the 4th of July--still. Just as it was when I wrote my morning rambling about McDonalds. I have had a wonderful day of solitude, reading, writing, and listening to the background sound of patriotic music on NPR. I'm sending you a short poem by Mary Oliver that Dominique Browning uses as an epigraph to one of her chapters:

THE USES OF SORROW

(in my sleep I dreamed this poem)

Someone I loved once gave me
a box full of darkness.

It took me years to understand
that this, too, was a gift.

Mary Oliver

2 comments:

Kathi said...

Ahhh- Mary Oliver is one of my favorites!

Mercedes said...

It's just a box of rain
I don't know who put it there
Believe it if you need it
or leave it if you dare
But it's just a box of rain
or a ribbon for your hair
Such a long long time to be gone
and a short time to be there

The Grateful Dead