Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Some Suicides are never Recorded

He knew the answers
But never raised his hand

She knew it was wrong
But she did it anyway

He neatly folded the job application
And put a match to it

If she stayed he’d hit her again
She stayed anyway

He watched her walk away
And said nothing to stop her

He had everything he’d ever wanted
And he let it slip away while he sat in a chair all day

At the crossroads choices are made
And lives are irretrievably altered

Some suicides are never recorded

2 comments:

Mercedes said...

This gave me chills; all those quiet deaths; we've all had or witnessed those moments, and yet life goes on.

Kathi said...

I once wrote a "What If?" poem based on the same premise- the questions that haunt us. I'll look for it when I get home. I love the way you wrote this one! I miss y'all! (Still in Louisville enjoying time with my son, daughter-in-law, and newest grandson who is absolutely precious!)