Tuesday, February 23, 2010

REACHING TOWARD ANOTHER

He comes over and puts his paw on my lap
and when that doesn’t work he stares at me with his chin propped on my arm

She gazes at me with real baby blues while she waggles all four limbs up in the air
and opens and closes tiny fists

As we pass on the sidewalk our eyes briefly catch
and our steps make the smallest hesitation as we silently greet

While I sit in the lobby my empty gaze is filled by the throng of milling people
and then I see the woman in the green sweater and she sees me

You are across the room, I look up as you make a small pucker of your mouth
and cover your heart with your hand

2 comments:

JanEO said...

Every scene you paint in this poem is vivid, vibrant, touching -- real. Reading this makes me want to pay closer attention to 'reaching' - thanks!

longwing said...

lovely collection of reachings... i sighed at the last one.

thank you, poet!