Friday, February 5, 2010

you know you're old when.....

You are mentoring a 4th grader and he needs help writing a story about his favorite place which is the family cabin. The cabin, he proudly tells you, was built in the 1900s.

The next project he needs help with is writing something that begins with "I have a dream that....." His dream is that everyone will take better care of the earth. Let me tell you that when I was in 4th grade my vocabulary didn't include the words environment, conserve, ecology,or preserve. And, green was the color of the grass. Ok. Maybe I was an environmentalist at that age. But, my dreams had nothing to do with taking care of our planet.

2 comments:

Kathi said...

Ha! I remember the first Earth Day. I was a freshman in high school, and we all walked about 8 miles to school that day. We picked up trash along the way and had a sit in in the gym when we got there. It's one of my most memorable days!

JanEO said...

Can you imagine -- I can still remember when we were first encouraged not to litter! We used to throw trash out the car window -- true story. A souce of great shame, I admit.