Thursday, March 4, 2010

Does This Cocktail Make Me Look Old?

After crying in my Cosmopolitan upon learning that, according to More magazine, it makes me look old, I sucked it up (actually quite tasty with the added salt) and shopped More for a suitably youthful cocktail to serve my (hip) friends before dinner last night.  Dinner was to be a Julia favorite, which called for a gin-based cocktail, so the choice was fairly easy -- I chose the prettiest one in the magazine.  It was called the Cougar Baitini, aka The Northern Bramble.  My friends first asked "why would a drink be named after a cat?", and after I forgave them their hip slip I explained what a More cougar was, and then confessed that when I read the name I heard it pronounced as buy-tini before my aha! moment -- cougar bait-ini -- get it?  Sigh. We all needed a more youthful drink, and fast. 

The drink is darned tasty -- decent gin (Boodles), fresh lemon juice and a little maple syrup shaken with ice and poured over crushed ice, then drizzled with enough cassis to make it look like a sunset -- garnished with blackberries and served with a fondue fork that can double as a swizzle stick and a blackberry fork.   We made the first round, and immediately mixed a second, agreeing that no one should have any down time -- shudder.  

Dinner, roast chicken on a bed of mixed greens, green beens with bacon, onions, and feta cheese, fresh baked bread, served with a red wine named "Low Hanging Fruit", was stellar.  There's almost nothing like enjoying a meal with people you love, who love food, who aren't shy about breaking off a chunk of bread and scooping up watercress drenched in sauce. 

The verdict on the cocktail, which we agreed should be forever known as the Northern Bramble?  A veritable fountain of youth. 

2 comments:

debdeb said...

I love your humor, actually wit. Do you remember Dick Cavett? You have that same sly cleverness and ability to manipulate words.

Linda said...

Janet, your writing always leaves me feeling the way you describe feeling after a meal with friends:
"There's almost nothing like enjoying a meal with people you love, who love food, who aren't shy about breaking off a chunk of bread and scooping up watercress drenched in sauce. " You bring the chunks of bread AND the watercress AND the sauce to our table--and I can taste it long after the last bite. WOW! Could you send (here) a link to your blog? This old dog is loving the new tricks--but need to figure out how to access everything I want to read and re-read this morning!