Monday, May 10, 2010

I am a childless motherless child and today is mothers day. For years, I spent hours trying to find just the right card and just the right words to write on the card. It’s hard to find one that keeps to a basic unemotional greeting and doesn’t extol the virtues of mom. What I searched for was a card that fulfilled the basic obligation without any hint of sentimentality or even love or affection. Sometimes, I ended up buying blank cards with a flower on the front just to avoid the prospect of sending what would have felt like a hypocritical greeting. I didn’t want to give her the wrong impression or the satisfaction of thinking she had the qualities of a mother or that I believed she did. She gave birth to me. She was my mother biologically. But she did not nurture me. She did not teach me. She did not protect me. These are the things I thought when I would sit pen in hand ready to write something on the card I had finally selected. What to say? I couldn’t even write the words thank you without feeling like a participant in a fraudulent relationship, which is, of course, what we had. For all of my adult life, we had choreographed and danced in a mother daughter pax de deux in which we each pretended that despite our differences there was still a modicum of familial love. The truth was, I stopped loving my mother very early on in my life. She became something I had to endure and transcend. I was not grateful to her for anything. In the end, I usually ended up writing something like enjoy your day, have fun, happy mothers day and other generic versions of the same wish.

She died a few years ago and now mothers day comes and goes without my even noticing or barely being aware of it because of the other mothers and daughters in my life. Mothers day used to be another painful landmark on the roadmap of my life. It was a day that couldn’t help but remind me that I’d never really had a mother. On my passage from childhood to adulthood I had not experienced a motherly figure who pointed me in the right direction and filled my tires with self esteem, confidence and love. I never experienced the soothing comfort of the motherly security blanket that sheltered my friends. My journey through life has not enjoyed the benefit of a mother who was there to reassure me if I had an emotional flat or needed fuel. Even when she was alive, I was motherless and on my own. The Hallmark ads on TV showing loving relationships between mothers and daughters used to bring me to my knees. Watching those beautifully depicted scenarios made me feel like the Morton salt girl was floating above me pouring and pouring her salt on my wretchedly warped heart. And, me, without an umbrella.

In the past, mothers day made me feel like I was a little girl again. I was brimming with hurt, resentment, dread, pain, confusion, disappointment and fear. It hurt to have a mother who was clearly not on my side, who put herself first and her daughter second. It confused me to have a mother who manipulated people and situations to show herself in the best light and shape shifted the reality that I knew. I resented not learning the regular lessons one is supposed to learn from their mother. I dreaded having to be with her or speak to her. The pain shifted from a dull background throb when I was away from her into one that was present, sharp and searing when I had to be near her. Until she died, I was terribly afraid that as bad as it was while she lived it would be worse when she died. I feared the guilt and loss would own me once she permanently left my life and this world. Instead, the minute I heard she was no longer living I sighed with relief and exhaled the pungent air of the life I had known before her death and inhaled the fresh oxygen of life after the death of my mother.

When my friends worry about their daughters I envy the daughters for being the recipients of such concern. When my friends have conflicts with their daughters I have to be careful not to insinuate myself into their stories. The daughters of loving mothers can often behave like the daughter I was. Not many people understand what it’s like to grow up without the crutch of a mother and my stories and recollections can be perceived as criticism of them. When my friends complain about their daughters and how they are treated by them, I wonder if the whole problem was that I was a bad daughter. But, I know that’s not true. I wasn’t a good daughter, but I no longer blame myself for the situation I was born into. Just because I wasn’t good doesn’t mean I was bad.

My childless status is mostly due to my being motherless. Mother child relationships are mysterious to me. There are magic words involved that I never learned. There is an entire language both verbal and physical that is completely foreign to me. I knew that if I had a child I would most likely feel even more lost, abandoned and short changed. My own child could only magnify my lack of a mother. After all, among the many things she did not teach me was how to be a mother. I had no monkey see monkey do to rely upon. I imagine most people think I am childless because I am physically incapable of having children. Or, maybe they think it was a high minded decision about population control. In reality, I didn’t think I could do it.

In retrospect, I realize that in many ways my mother did the best she could. She knew no better and probably should have remained childless herself. There are ways though that she could have and should have known better. For all of us there are times and obligations in our lives when we must think of someone other than ourselves and if we don’t due to a lack of character, imagination or courage then we are at fault. My mother saw the world through her own prism and was never able to view me or anyone or anything else on its own merit. She was incapable of fulfilling her lifelong obligation of motherhood although she pretended to and I sometimes wonder if she actually fooled herself into thinking she did.

So, today, I enjoyed a mothers day brunch with women who are either geographically or emotionally distant from their daughters on this particular day. As I’ve matured, I’ve learned and observed that mother daughter dynamics are as brittle and mysterious to others as they are to me.

Ultimately, I think, what each of us wants is to matter in this world. That one desire probably lies at the crux of why we do most things. It shapes our world view and belief system as well as dictates our rules of survival. In our primary relationships we want to matter in ways that are substantial and not tangential. We want our importance and intrinsic value to the people we care about to be reflected back to us in a way that provide comfort, quiet and calm. We want to be valued and appreciated for who we are and not just what we do or can do for them. The ultimate sustenance is when our very existence matters to someone. This is what love is, I think. But, to matter is different than to be needed. Maybe this is where we go astray sometimes. We think that if we need someone then of course they matter and by deductive reasoning then that also means we love them. But to have someone matter does not necessarily mean we need them and the highest love is one not based on need. I don’t think my mother was able to parse this distinction. Her love was greedy. If I’d had children, I was afraid mine would have been the same.

11 comments:

Kathi said...

OH Deb, this is so sad and honest and beautiful. Any child would have been lucky to have you as a mother. You have one of the biggest, loveliest hearts I know.

JanEO said...

I rarely read anything, ever, with this level of self-awareness, and that you are brave enough to share it gives me hope for myself and, actually, all of us.

Mercedes said...

Dear Deb,
It was hard to read your post, but I was struck by your honesty. In fact, I am a coward, because I didn't reply until I had some time to process what you were saying.(hoping some other comments would appear as a guidepost)You, on the other hand, are very courageous, in your unflinching acceptance of your own reality.

Lea said...

I echo Mercedes. Wanted to comment but I was afraid I would reflect only sadness and not the emotional power of your words. Wow!

debdeb said...

It's funny how we write things and the response is totally different than what we intend or expect. I didn't think I was writing a pity piece. Poor Debbie was not what I wanted to evoke. My life is what it is and had it been otherwise I would not be who I am and so in a very convoluted way I am grateful. I'm embarrassed that rather than writing an observation about human relations and mother daughter dynamics, albeit very personal and painful, I ended up writing something that comes off as self indulgent and smarmy. oops!

KARA said...

This is so powerful; I would love to write something this smart, insightful, and lingering. Your words, the images, and the responsibility you take for yourself, your choices,and your relationships is palpable. This will stay with me for a long time.

Kathi said...

Deb- NOT a pity piece at all or smarmy in the least. I ached for the little girl you once were and admire the amazing woman you've become in spite of your mother. This is excellent- nothing at ALL to be embarrassed about- it's honest and heartfelt, and that makes for good writing- and reading.

Lea said...

Deb, I understand. I just sent a writer friend something I thought was tongue-in-cheek and he thought is was "painfully honest." I did not see self pity in your piece. Just a good look at the way it was. I want everyone to have the white picket fence (I didn't) and we all don't.

Mercedes said...

I recently shared a story with my daughter that I thought was humourous and poignant. She said it made her feel fearful and angry. I don't know where to go from here.

Kathi said...

I think we all have different "lenses," and so our stories affect each person who reads them a little differently. It even goes to our writing styles- some of us prefer poetry, some short story, some essay. I've never cared much for memoir just because most I've read has been very "woe is me-ish." I did not find that at all with this piece, even though Deb could've easily gone there. I was so glad she didn't! And I think one of the marks of a good writer is that each reader can find herself/himself in the piece somewhere even though it may not have been intended by the writer. Does that make any sense at all? :)

Kathi said...

ACk- I made an error- "Most I've read HAVE been..."
I really hate when that happens!