Monday, May 10, 2010

If

If I were a pebble
on the beach,
would you bend down
and pick
me up?
Would you think me
beautiful,
take me home and
place me gently in
in your
treasure box?

Maybe you'd skip me
out to sea,
where I'd slowly
float
to the bottom,
settling into the
mud,
never to be found
again.

Or would you toss
me
into your small
red bucket
with the others
you've collected
and listen to me
ping
against the tin?

And later
use me as
a part of
a tiny stone
wall
surrounding your
sand castle?

Would you notice
my heart
shape,
smile, and write
your initials on
my smooth
surface?

Perhaps you'd drop me
into your
pocket
and someday give
me
away to
your lover,
who would sleep
with me
under her pillow,
and dream of
you.

4 comments:

Betty said...

Very nice! You must have been thinking of Ocean City, I should try that sometime.

Lea said...

My mind went to a hundred thoughts. As always, beautiful.

KARA said...

I'm thinking that was not about Ocean City...

Kathi said...

Thanks, all- Mom, yes, there's a little Ocean City in there since it's the beach I know best, but for the most part, it's metaphorical.