Sunday, May 2, 2010

Sunday Morning

Here it is, 2:26, on Sunday morning. Remember how people used to say, "Your best friends are the people you could call at three in the morning?" That was always the litmus test. I've never actually tried it, but maybe I will.

Or better still--I'll call you all via blog-phone. Listen in. Eavesdrop. Be amazed. Be happy. Just be here, like pulling up a raggedy and most comfortable chair in the candle-lit living room of a house we all share.

The house color has been chosen: 65% Spun Sugar. The trim: Nacre. The door--well, that's the mystery of the week. I have a line of sample quarts standing in my front yard now like a procession of fat little girls at a wedding.

As I've been exploring paint this entire week--that and door mats and mail boxes and house numbers and fans--I'm remembering the time we all wrote about colors, how much it matters: color. How much the name of the color matters.

Some people may put themselves to sleep counting sheep--or making plans for snails. Or conjuring up drink recipes. But this month, at least, I put myself back into dreaming mode by naming the colors: bluestone, dune grass, paradise valley, Maine shore, Carolina Sky. I can imagine writing a book, each chapter named a paint color!

Strawberry Field meets Twist of Lime.
Skydive Blue meets Tree Frog Green.



7 comments:

debdeb said...

Fat girls at a wedding! Superb image.

Kathi said...

Yes! That was my favorite line, too, Deb! Love the entire piece, Linda- love the idea of chapters named paint colors...very cool.

Kathi said...

Oh, and Linda, you can call me at 3AM anytime- I'm usually up, and if I'm not, the phone is turned to vibrate... :)

JanEO said...

Maybe my problem is that my study is painted "sawdust"...

Linda said...

Janet, Your study is painted SAWDUST? For real? DIdn't they have STARDUST, for Pete's sake?

Mercedes said...

O.K. Janet started it, but I can't resist: cow-dung, hay-seed, red-neck, residue?

Mercedes said...

I really cannot stop: Fanta Orange, Big-Red? ( I actually saw buildings painted those colors today)