Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Reluctant Rhyme

I have always been a poet,
And I wish I could control it,
But for reasons inexplicable, I can’t.

When I try to write down poems,
There are no seeds of thought to sow ‘em,
And the words I want to utilize are scant.

But then sometimes when there’s no moonlight,
Like a creature of the night,
I rise and leave my warm and cozy bed.

I find my fav'rite pen and little book,
And slip into my chair within its nook
Where the thoughts pour forth from deep inside my head.

It’s as though someone else is writing 'em,
And I’ve learned to stop from fighting 'em
As if I’m a vessel for another’s creativity.

My hand writes down what my brain tells it to-
Before I know it, I’m completely through,
so I go back to bed and sleep 'til the dawn awakens me.

1 comment:

JanEO said...

Kathi, I have a recurring dream where I'm reading something I've never read before, and it all makes sense because I'm actually writing it -- your poem reminds me of that dream -- very cool!