Tuesday, May 4, 2010

JOY RIDE

Joy Ride

Remember when you were little and your dad would say
Come on kids. Let’s go for a
Joy ride
His joy wasn’t yours
And yours wasn’t his
But, it was always a joyful experience
Him with hours of driving around the countryside looking at
The scenery
You waiting patiently in the back seat for the final destination
The A&W
where a root beer float would reward you for riding quietly
And pretending to enjoy the bucolic view
Now that we are older, gas is dear and roads are filled with
rage instead of joy
We find our joy in other places
And in other ways
Today, like many mornings, I took my bike out for a spin along
The river
As I reveled in the scenery I thought of my dad
And how things constantly change and forever remain the same
I wasn’t going to have that end of the ride root beer float
But
I dearly wished my bicycle seat could vibrate

2 comments:

Kathi said...

Joy ride and vibrating bicycle seats definitely go together!! :) Riding with my dad wasn't usually pleasant, but every once in awhile it was. With 4 kids in the backseat complaining about everything under the sun, I guess I shouldn't blame him! NICE work, Deb!

JanEO said...

oh man, just the other day I was wondering when someone would come up with a swiss army vibrator -- but a vibrating bicycle seat, now that's something to live for!! brings new meaning, I think, to a bicycle built for two!!!