Friday, May 21, 2010

Nameless

On each of us it looks different; I thought it would be the same.
But in her it is silence, on him bravado.
For the sixth grader it’s in being the class mascot, while for the doctor it’s an overt and constant display of sexuality.

It is our best kept secret.

She has a nick name for everyone. Tabitha quickly became Tabby and Karen is Probie, signifying a special relationship with Tabby and Probie. They are verbally tagged so that all others must silently and indirectly credit her each time the shorthand versions are used. It’s fun, but the women are claimed without even knowing it and she has dodged another bullet. No one can see her inside the cleverness.

Nearby there’s a cave called “Cave Without a Name.” I’ve always thought it odd, the name.

On her it’s a blue suit, just a little too tight for the workplace and for her mother, it’s an extra layer of fat, nestled around her middle.

Why did I think we would all wear it as a size 12 baggy jean, the way I do?


On him it settles in as paralysis, just one more game of solitaire. On her it’s overachievement, a litany of degrees and belongings cluttering her. His feet turn inward with hesitation, hers are duck-like, quacking with ego.

We don’t name it so it keeps us from ourselves.

It looks so different on each of us, shame does.

3 comments:

debdeb said...

Man oh man. Just those little tweeks totally [cliche] sharpened it. I get the cave with no name now. I didn't get it last night and didn't want to admit it, but now I totally [cliche] get the symbolism. Gorgeous Kar!

Kathi said...

Deb is right! I liked it last night- I love it now. Great piece, Kara! Did Deb really shorten your name to Kar?! We'll sic Jan on her :) kat ...

Mercedes said...

This is really an amazing reflection on how we all act and react. Some of your phrases are stuck in my head, like the duck-like feet. Why shame? It's not something I've thought about as a motivator - Shame is secret and clever, but it's manifestation is overt and domineering - something like that.To use your phrase - "it's odd".